Sunday, 20 January 2008

More preparations

I got all my books from Amazon! Great reading material, especially the book from Nona Kilgore Bauer, called "Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever" (Special Rare-breed edition, a comprehensive owner's guide). I finished it today and it is a really good book. Easy to read and still chuck full with information.

The other books I got are:

Cesar Millan - Cesar's Way
Cesar Millan - Be the Pack Leader
Schlegl-Kofler - Hunde Sprache ("dog language")
Norma Zvolsky - Retriever Schule ("Retriever school")

I have already learned so much about dogs and their behavior and ways to train them. I find it very interesting and lots of fun to read about it and I can't wait to put some of it into practise.

Today we have decided where we will put the water/food bowls and the crate. Reto doesn't like the idea of a crate in the house, but I will convince him that it is nothing mean. And that the dog will feel safe(r) in a crate.

I am going to get rid of our old VHS tapes and the shelves they are on, to make space for the water/food bowls. I will probably bring the tapes to a charity shop. I will then have to put a big waterproof mat (like a place mat, but bigger) on the carpet in that corner. It would be easier if we could put the bowls in the kitchen, but we have no handy corner for that in the kitchen.

We have already pushed Lorenzo's keyboard to the side, so that the crate can stand next to it. I am not sure yet, that that will be the best spot for it, because it is behind the sofa and the sofa works a bit like a room divider. So if we are all in the sitting area, the dog wouldn't be able to see us. I am considering another spot, that is right next to the sofa and would be overlooking the whole living room plus offer a view of the kitchen and the hallway.

I am looking forward to visiting the third breeder on Saturday. I hope it will click so well, that we can really put in an "order" for a puppy.

No comments: